Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What me eat heathy?

I'm on a quest to eat more healthy.  Dragging my husband with me.  He of course is kicking and screaming all the way.  This is partly for our health and also as a response to the Health care reform act.  I figure they are going to find a way to incorporate more sin taxes in our lives.  Well I'm not a wheat-free, gluten-free or vegan kind of girl.  I have to keep things simple. So I will begin with cooking from scratch.  I'm not going to buy pre-packaged foods, mixes etc.    Sounds easy  huh... its not.    The challenge will be coming up with healthy, affordable and quick meals.  I'm from the hamburger helper generation.  Saying goodbye to Kraft macaroni and cheese wont be easy!  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not going totally rogue yet.  I will have some condiments and canned tuna etc .  The goal is to have more ingredients in the meals that are prepared that I can name.  This means researching recipes sites and blogs.  I also have some good cookbooks at my disposal.
One that I've been using allot is More-with-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre
c 1976.  Here is one recipe I recently prepared.

Indian Chicken



Ingredients
1-3lb fryer, cut up
2 -Tbsp butter
2- Tbsp olive oil
some flour for dusting the chicken
2- medium onions , chopped
3- Tbsp of flour
2 - Tbsp  of Curry powder
1 -tsp ground ginger
2-tsp of salt
1/3 cup honey 
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 cups of chicken broth

pre-heat oven 350*

heat in large skillet butter and olive oil.  Flour and fry chicken until brown. Remove from skillet and place in a casserole dish.
Add to skillet the onions and saute until golden.  Stir in the flour, curry powder, ginger and salt, blend well.
Combine honey, soy sauce and chicken broth and add to skillet.  Cook over high heat stirring until sauce thickens. Poor sauce over chicken and bake, about 1 hour. serves 6.

This was excellent.  I served it with rice, butternut squash and green beans.  The hubby liked it.  I will adapt for the crock pot next time I fix this and this is life as I know it...