Tuesday, October 8, 2013

An Applesauce Spice Cake from a MIx

It's Fall and I feel like baking. It happens every year.  Don't have a clue about why but I what to crank up the oven. I get the cookbooks out. Search through blogs and Pinterest I made my list and checked it twice. Ok maybe I didn't check it twice (wrong season) :)  but a list was made.

The aroma of fresh baked goodness makes our home just plain homier.  I like to bake all kinds of things. Breads, cakes, cookies , pies oh my!  Quick & easy to scratch baking.  Healthier versions to bring on the butter.  I like it all.
 The cake recipe posted today uses a mix. Duncan Hines Spice cake, but you can use your favorite brand. The recipe is on the side panel of the cake mix box. I made a couple of changes basically using  what I had on hand.       
  The ingredients....

 
I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil it added a nice flavor.  A generic brand of apple pie filling and a half cup of chopped nuts (it's all I had) instead of a whole cup.  For hubs and I that was plenty.
The icing was store bought caramel apple flavor. The recipe on the box called for store bought vanilla with a teaspoon of cinnamon mixed in.  The caramel apple was new for the fall and I gave it a try on this cake.  Its was definitely sweet.  
 
Next combine all the ingredients in a bowl...
 
 
Now I just dump and stir.  After reading the recipe (oops), I should have stirred the pie filling in a separate bowl and broke in to small bits. Stir the filling in to the already prepared cake batter than add the nuts. Oh well it turned out just fine from my dump and stir method!
 
Next spread the batter in a prepared pan....
 
 
I choose a Bundt pan, it makes a pretty presentation but a 13 x 9 pan will work .
bake @ 350* for about 35-40 minutes. Ovens vary so you need to check it.
 
Let it cool in pan for about 15 minutes...
 
 
Remove from pan and let cool completely before frosting...
 
 
The frosted goodness...
 
 
Applesauce Spice Cake
 
Ingredients
1 pkg Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix
3 large eggs
1 - 21 oz. apple pie filling
⅓ cup of coconut oil
½  cup of chopped nuts
1 container Pillsbury caramel apple icing  


Directions
Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and flour your cake pan.
Combine cake mix egg and oil. Stir to combine. Beat for a a couple of minutes.
Stir in Apple pie filling and nuts. Spread into prepared baking pans. Bake for about
35-40 minutes.  Cool in pan for about 15 minutes.  Remove from pan on to cooling rack.
Frost when completely cooled.
 
This cake will satisfy any sweet tooth. Hubs loved it, for me its was a little too sweet.  I'm going to tweak it some and find a version that is not so sweet.  The fall baking season has got off to a sweet start!
 
This is my Life as I know it...
Happy Baking!!!
 Ann